Wednesday 10 May 2017

Read Women Month 2017


Every June, since 2014, I dedicate the entire month exclusively to female writers, and every May I ask you all to join me, and this year is no different. There is only one rule - for the whole of June leave the male authors behind and for one month read, share, and celebrate female writers. That's it!

Why do I do this every year? Because a lot of people still look down on women's writing as some sort of niche, as though books written by women can only be enjoyed by women, whereas books written by men can be enjoyed by everyone. Because websites still publish articles of books everyone should read with not a single female author to be seen. Because male authors are still far more likely to win writing awards, be reviewed in the media, and be studied in schools and universities than female authors. Because people still use the phrase 'chicklit' and never to refer to books written by men.

And because women are great, and women who write are especially great (biased though I may be) and they deserve to be celebrated! So this year I'm getting in nice and early to try and encourage you to join me in reading women all throughout June.

I have a few fun things planned already and you can see all my Read Women Month posts from previous years right here. Let me know if you'll be taking part and feel free to post liberally with the hashtag on Twitter and Instagram throughout the month if you are so I can see what great women writers you're all reading!

Follow

2 comments:

  1. This is such a wonderful idea, and I definitely want to join in! I'll have to put my tbr together right away to make sure I have plenty of reading material (and also because I'm excited).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad you'll be taking part! I can't wait to see what books you'll be reading!

      Delete