Sunday 4 September 2016

Project: Anything Other Than Hamilton IV: Musicals Edition.

Sometimes, when you're trying to stop yourself from listening to one musical cast recording over and over again, the only thing to do is to listen to other musical cast recordings instead.

Bend it Like Beckham

Bend it Like Beckham is one of my all time favourite films and honestly I feel a little bit like the fact that this musical existed and I never saw it means my life will never be totally complete. I don't know what I was thinking not going to see it but whatever, that's just a bad choice I'll have to live with for the rest of my life. No big deal. I'll just have to listen to the cast recording on repeat forever and try not to cry about the fact that it's exactly how I would want a musical of this story to sound and I will probably never get to see the actual show. Like I said, I'm fine with it.

Favourite songs: Glorious, More Fool Me, Bend It

Kinky Boots

Kinky Boots is another of my favourite films and with Cyndi Lauper writing all the songs for the musical, it was pretty much a given that I would love it. There is only one song on the album that I don't love and that is 100% because there is one particular actor in this recording whose attempt at a Northampton accent makes me want to rip my own ears off. Other than that though, the whole album is amazing and so much fun and I love how they've focused on Charlie and Lola's relationships to their fathers. If Kinky Boots ever comes to my local theatre I will be first in line at the box office!

Favourite songs: Step One, Soul of a Man, Hold Me in Your Heart

Waitress

I know Waitress is also based on a film but I haven't actually seen this one yet. I've heard great things about Sara Bareilles's songs for the show though so I read the plot line on Wikipedia and let the songs tell me the rest of the story, which they did fantastically. I can only imagine how moving the show must be when you're actually watching it live because even just listening to them at home, I was definitely moved. Also, does anyone know when I will stop having a constant stream of 'sugar, butter, flour' running through my head?

Favourite songs: Opening Up, What Baking Can Do, Bad Idea


Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment