Thursday 22 September 2016

Mount Edgcumbe and Kingsand.

Mount Edgcumbe Country Park Cornwall

I'm scheduling this post a few weeks in advance so I can only imagine that by the time it's actually published we will be fully into pumpkin spice season and these pictures will be a lovely little reminder that we did have a summer once, however long ago I'm sure it will seem to me by then.

These are all from the August bank holiday Monday, which I spent exploring Mount Edgcumbe and the surrounding area with my parents and getting a spectacular sunburn on my shoulders (factor 50 everywhere else but I forgot to get someone to do my back. Rookie mistake.) 

Mount Edgcumbe Country Park Cornwall

Mount Edgcumbe Country Park Cornwall

There's a lot to see in the Mount Edgcumbe Country Park. We spent hours there and I don't think we saw even half of it. There is a fee to get in the house but the grounds are completely free and from the formal gardens to the coastal walk, there is certainly enough to keep you busy all day. We actually didn't even see the house.

Mount Edgcumbe Country Park Cornwall

Mount Edgcumbe Country Park Cornwall

Mount Edgcumbe Country Park Cornwall
I want one of these in my garden. Pink and all.

Mount Edgcumbe Country Park Cornwall

You can see Plymouth from the coastal path at Mount Edgcumbe, beyond all the boats and from an angle I'd never seen it from before, but my favourite part of the park was probably the Italian garden. I'll definitely be heading towards more of the formal gardens if I go again.

Mount Edgcumbe Country Park Cornwall

Mount Edgcumbe Country Park Cornwall

Mount Edgcumbe Country Park Cornwall

After we left Mount Edgcumbe we stopped off at Kingsand and Cawsand. Kingsand and Cawsand are twin villages near the border between Devon and Cornwall. So near in fact that Kingsand used to be in Devon and Cawsand in Cornwall until the boundaries were changed in the 19th century and both become part of Cornwall.

Kingsand Cawsand Cornwall

Kingsand Cawsand Cornwall

We didn't go into Cawsand but Kingsand is a beautiful seaside village, every part what you might think of when you think 'Cornish village'. The clock tower suffered a lot of damage in storms a few years ago but it has since been completely restored and there was certainly no sign of any bad weather the day that we were there!

Kingsand Cawsand Cornwall

Kingsand Cawsand Cornwall

We sort of stopped at Whitsand Bay on the way home (literally, we just stopped in a tiny car park at the side of the road) but decided not to walk all the way down to the beach because, well, it was already getting to the end of the day, and I didn't much like the prospect of walking back up again. Maybe next time.

Cornwall

Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment