Wednesday 1 June 2016

Read Women Month 2016 TBR.

Read Women Month TBR To All the Boys I've Loved Before Jenny Han Purple Hibiscus Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Sofia Khan is Not Obliged Ayisha Malik

Read Women Month 2016 starts today! Are you as excited as I am? Probably not. But I hope you're at least a little excited! 

I've only chosen three books for my Read Women Month TBR this year because for some reason I've actually been reading pretty slowly recently so I don't really anticipate being able to read more than three books this month. But these are all authors who are completely new to me and whose books I've heard amazing things about, and I'm really looking forward to getting into these stories!

To All the Boys I've Loved Before Jenny Han
Lara Jean keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her. One for every boy she's ever loved. When she writes, she can pour out her heart and soul and say all the things she would never say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only. Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and suddenly Lara Jean's love life goes from imaginary to out of control...
To All the Boys I've Loved Before sounds like exactly my kind of thing. There is nothing I love better than a sweet YA contemporary read and this premise sounds really interesting. I've heard mixed things about this book online but I've been wanting to read it and decide what I think for myself for a while now so this is probably the book I'm most excited about on this list and probably the one I'll be reading first. Plus, it's got a very high rating on goodreads, so it must be good, right?

Purple Hibiscus Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Fifteen-year-old Kambili’s world is circumscribed by the high walls and frangipani trees of her family compound. Her wealthy Catholic father, under whose shadow Kambili lives, while generous and politically active in the community, is repressive and fanatically religious at home. 
When Nigeria begins to fall apart under a military coup, Kambili’s father sends her and her brother away to stay with their aunt, a University professor, whose house is noisy and full of laughter. There, Kambili and her brother discover a life and love beyond the confines of their father’s authority. The visit will lift the silence from their world and, in time, give rise to devotion and defiance that reveal themselves in profound and unexpected ways. This is a book about the promise of freedom; about the blurred lines between childhood and adulthood; between love and hatred, between the old gods and the new.
I've heard so many amazing things about Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's writing and I don't know why it's taken me so long to pick up one of her books. Purple Hibiscus was recommended to me by a friend and I'm hoping that as this was Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's first novel it will be a good one to start with. Again, it has excellent reviews on goodreads, and the story sounds interesting, although in a very different way to To All the Boys I've Loved Before! This sounds like it will be quite different to the sorts of books I normally read and I'm really looking forward to that.

Sofia Khan is Not Obliged Ayisha Malik
Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayisha Malik
"Brilliant idea! Excellent! Muslim dating? Well, I had no idea you were allowed to date.' Then he leaned towards me and looked at me sympathetically. 'Are your parents quite disappointed?' 
Unlucky in love once again after her possible-marriage-partner-to-be proves a little too close to his parents, Sofia Khan is ready to renounce men for good. Or at least she was, until her boss persuades her to write a tell-all expose about the Muslim dating scene. 
As her woes become her work, Sofia must lean on the support of her brilliant friends, baffled colleagues and baffling parents as she goes in search of stories for her book. In amongst the marriage-crazy relatives, racist tube passengers and decidedly odd online daters, could there be a a lingering possibility that she might just be falling in love . . . ?
Sofia Khan is Not Obliged is the newest release on this list but I've already heard so many good things about it. I've heard it compared a lot to Bridget Jones's Diary, which actually worries me a little because, although I love the Bridget Jones films, I wasn't really a fan of the first two books when I read them, so I'm definitely hoping that those comparisons lean more towards the films than the books. Outrageous, I know. Either way I do love a romance book every once in a while and I'm hopeful that this one will be as funny as everyone says it is!

So that's my TBR for Read Women Month 2016! If by some miracle I manage to finish all three of these before the end of the month then I might squeeze one or two short somethings in too but honestly I'll just be happy if I manage these three before July.

What's on your lists for Read Women Month? I'd love to see your TBRs! Don't forget to use the hashtag #ReadWomenMonth on Twitter and Instagram, (I most certainly will be) and happy Read Women Month!

Follow

Read Women Month

No comments:

Post a Comment