Tuesday 1 July 2014

#ReadWomenMonth book reviews.


I think we all knew that I was not going to get around to all six books on my TBR this month but I did manage to read four of them so I'm calling that a success!


1. Campari for Breakfast by Sara Crowe

I knew just from the synopsis that I was going to love this book. I've been eagerly awaiting it all year and I was so excited to finally be able to read it that I just sailed through it, barely putting it down. It was everything I had hoped it would be and more. Campari for Breakfast is full of interesting characters, especially the protagonist, Sue, and her aunt Coral. It's incredibly funny and very sweet, and there's even a little mystery involved that just kept me coming back for more. Crowe's writing style switches wonderfully between Sue's narration and Aunt Coral's common place book, and really it was all just incredibly charming and well done. Before I'd even finished it I knew it was going to be a firm favourite. 5/5 stars.


2. Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford

I read the precursor to this book, The Pursuit of Love, earlier this year and while I did enjoy it I found that I enjoyed Love in a Cold Climate a lot more. I enjoyed Polly's story line in the first part of the book and absolutely loved the arrival of Cedric in the second part. I also found Jassy and Victoria to be a lot funnier in this book and they were definitely a big part of why I preferred Love in a Cold Climate to The Pursuit of Love. I'm very much looking forward to reading Don't Tell Alfred next, but I'm not sure it'll be able to live up to this one, not unless Jassy, Victoria, and Cedric make as many appearances. 4/5 stars. 


3. The Rehearsal by Eleanor Catton

At first I wasn't sure what to think about The Rehearsal. Much of the book is written almost as though it is a script rather than a novel and that took some time to get used to but I'm glad I didn't let it put me off because once I did get used to it I started to really enjoy the story. If I had to use just one word to describe The Rehearsal it would be 'unique'. I've never read anything else quite like it and I'm pretty sure that I never will. Now it's got me considering reading Catton's most recent novel, The Luminaries, which is frankly just frightening in size. 4/5 stars.


4. Tigers in Red Weather by Liza Klaussmann

If I had to use one word to describe Tigers in Read Weather it would be 'unputdownable' (which is definitely a word.) I can hardly believe how quickly I read it but it really was just a wrench to stop reading every time I had to. I stayed up way too late too many times in a row reading this one. The book is split into five sections, each section following a different character, which I really enjoyed because it was a great way to see all the sides of the story and really helped when fitting the puzzle together of what was going on at Tiger House. My only complaint was that while I really enjoyed all the other sections, I wasn't so keen on Hughes's section and sort of found myself speeding through it a little to get to Ed's section quicker. It was still an absolutely fantastic read though and one I would definitely recommend to everyone. 4/5 stars

I can't believe Read Women Month is over already. I hope you all had as much fun with it as I did and I'd love to hear what books you read! I'll definitely be doing Read Women Month again next year.

(Actually, seeing as my preorders of Landline and The Silkworm recently arrived, I might accidentally be doing Read Women Month again next month!)

Follow me on bloglovin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment