Saturday 19 October 2013

September book reviews.

Image

Okay so I took these pictures on the 1st October, meaning to write this post that evening, but then the month suddenly got super busy and now here we are, weeks later, and I can barely even remember what I thought about half of these books. So in light of that, let's go for less-than-100-word reviews! Short and sweet and totally not the result of my terrible planning.

(Maybe next time I do this I'll take notes on the books immediately after reading instead of relying on my appalling memory.)


Image

1. Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple.

You've probably already read plenty of reviews about this and honestly I don't really have anything new to say. Where'd You Go Bernadette is a solid, good read. It's funny, heartwarming, and quite different to anything I've read before. 4/5 stars.

Image

2. Matched by Ally Condie.

This book has been out for years and I've been wanting to read it for a long time but I have to say I was pretty disappointed. Certain aspects of the world felt a little too unbelievable for me and honestly I'd have liked for the main character to have more of a personality. There was also a touch of insta-love going on here and I'm not down for that. 3/5 stars.

Image

3. Who Could That Be at This Hour? by Lemony Snicket.

I loved A Series of Unfortunate Events as a kid so I was pretty stoked for Lemony Snicket's new series and it definitely did not let me down. The only way to describe this book is 'noir for kids' and I'm super excited for the next book (even though I've heard it's taller than this one. WHY CAN'T MY BOOKS EVER MATCH??) 4/5 stars.

Image

4. The Enchantress Returns by Chris Colfer.

Like the first book in this series, The Wishing Spell, it took me awhile to get into The Enchantress Returns but once I did I thoroughly enjoyed the characters and the world. My only complaint is that I found it perhaps a little too similar to the first one. I'm just hoping for something other than a collection spell for the focus in the next two books. 3/5 stars.

Image

5. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.

I was so certain that I would love Fangirl that I preordered it before even finishing Rowell's last novel, Eleanor & Park, and it totally lived up to, and even surpassed, my expectations. As soon as I finished reading it I wanted to go back to the start and read it over again, and I've pretty much been wanting to reread it ever since! 4/5 stars.

Image

6. The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater.

The Raven Boys, the first book in this series, completely surprised me when I read it a few months back, and I have to admit I was a little worried that The Dream Thieves wouldn't live up to its predecessor but I was dead wrong. As it's a sequel I'll leave it at that. If you enjoyed The Raven Boys then you will definitely enjoy The Dream Thieves. 4/5 stars.

Image

7. Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer by Katie Alender.

Firstly, how could I not love a book with that title and cover? And set in Paris! More books should be set in Paris to satisfy my predictable obsession with the place. This was suggested to me by my good friend Saruuh over at Syntax Reviews a while ago and I preordered it immediately. If I were totally impartial I would probably give it 3/5 stars, but I'm not. I'm very partial to almost every aspect of this book and frankly the Parisian setting is worth the extra star alone. Unashamedly 4/5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. […] talked about Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer in my September book reviews, where I admitted that it isn’t exactly the best book I’ve read this year but my gosh, […]

    ReplyDelete